You’ll hear more talk about this every opportunity I get. Every modern woman needs to find her tribe.
A tribe is a safe space where we can be ourselves. It’s where we are encouraged to grow and learn, it’s where we know we can bare it all without fear of judgement or reproach.
Sometimes, we think our friend circle or our family is all the tribe we need. I disagree. I believe a tribe outside of these groups can provide a powerful space for you to be exactly who you need to be, and allow you to go to depths in your relationship with yourself that you may not be comfortable doing with your existing circles.
I’m generalising of course. But just pause for a second, and ponder this. If you’re the sum of the five people you spend the most time with – what does this create for you? Who is in your current circle of influence? Are they cheering you on to grow and expand? Or do they want you to stay the same, and just be the person they want you to be?
Here are 5 reasons why every woman needs a tribe:
- Belonging: Everyone wants to feel like they belong. Being part of a tribe with shared values can provide a sense of belonging and connection to others. When you feel as though you belong somewhere, you are more likely to lean into the collective energy and take courageous action.
- Support: Tribes provide genuine emotional, practical, and social support to their members. A woman who feels supported is less likely to feel overwhelmed, stressed and alone. Are you currently being supported?
- Identity: Being part of a tribe can give you a sense of identity and purpose. Many women that lack a connection to themselves and subsequently others find that they feel more lost and are less likely to have a strong sense of who they are. Being part of a tribe that allows you to express yourself freely and dig deeper into some of the more uncomfortable parts of yourself encourages acceptance and wholeness – rather than feeling as though there are parts of themselves they need to hide or change.
- Safety: Belonging to a tribe of women can provide a sense of safety and protection. Knowing there is somewhere you can be your true self, have a good cry, laugh or shout and where all of you is welcome, is such a powerful position to be in. When we feel safe, we can explore our boundaries, limits, and beliefs. We can give ourselves the freedom to challenge ourselves and know that we have our tribe as our safety net to catch us.
- Shared wisdom: One of the most powerful attributes of being part of a tribe, is access to the shared wisdom of the other women. Time and time again, a woman will volunteer her own experience, believing it to be unique. It may feel as though she is the only one going through this challenge, only to have other women share their own parallel experiences. Not only does this help the woman to feel more supported, it also allows each woman to draw on the wisdom from other women.
Finding your tribe is essential to living your life at its highest expression. According to Maslow’s Hierarchy of needs; after physiological (e.g. food and water), the rest of our needs are around safety, connection, esteem and self actualisation can all be achieved through the support of the right tribe.
Have you got yours?
If you’re searching for your tribe and you’re tired of trying to go it alone, have you considered joining my six month women’s inner circle – starting 19 January. Click here to learn more about Blossoming Woman.